[IAEP] [Sugar-devel] ANNOUNCE: Moving Sugar to GPLv3+

Sebastian Silva sebastian at somosazucar.org
Fri Apr 22 23:41:56 EDT 2011

Even though I haven't spoken with Bernie about his rationale for
proposing the upgrade of the license I would like to explain why I
strongly feel that as a member of the SLOBs board and as a
representative of the community I have the duty to back the proposal.
You see GPL is not only a legality. As Bernie pointed out in a previous
email, the GPL is designed to protect user's four freedoms. GPLv3 is
only an update to protect users from new forms of abuse (like
tivoization). I would really detest to see publishers exploit GPLv2 to
provide children with DRM'd books or hardware distributors providing
hardware that is unupgradable by the user.

In my platform for the board I very clearly stated as my  °1 core value
that "Sugar is Free software because ... it makes explicit the freedom
to learn to learn". So I consider it a core part of sugar's mission to
defend user's rights to learn to learn and interpret the community's
vote as seconding this.

Sebastian