[IAEP] GPL non-compliance, was Re: [SLOBS] GPLv3

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Thu Apr 21 07:05:50 EDT 2011

On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 11:15 PM, Yamandu Ploskonka <yamaplos at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 04/20/2011 08:05 PM, Walter Bender wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 8:52 PM, Yamandu Ploskonka<yamaplos at gmail.com>
>>  wrote:
>>>
>>> AFAIK (please correct me) Uruguay is not providing code, thus in
>>> violation
>>> of GNU license, and this situation has not been solved after several
>>> years.
>>
>> This is a serious accusation. Can you please provide some backup?
>> Specific to Sugar?
>
> If it is serious, why hasn't it been *solved* before?

There has not been any accusation prior to yours that Ceibal was
violating the GPL in regard to Sugar.

> 2009:
>
> http://lists.laptop.org/pipermail/olpc-sur/2009-August/004247.html
>
> 2010:
> http://www.mail-archive.com/sugar-devel@lists.sugarlabs.org/msg14915.html
>

> Walter, I am too dumb to know the full ins and outs of this.  I also have
> been advised that I should not mess with this because (as I understood it)
> there's some sort of insider arrangement I do not know and clearly I am not
> supposed to know, but time passes and the matter is not solved.
> You know this is no new issue, so I find it really out of place (and it
> hurts a bit) that I am pointed out like the "serious accuser", eh?

We have been as a community working on the general issue of getting
machines 'unlocked' in Uruguay, as as Bernie points out, we have
apparently succeeded. Your serious accusation about Sugar was new and
was a bit out of the blue. And your proposed remedies a bit extreme.
And you presented no new evidence. I don't think you were treated
unfairly. You were given thoughtful responses from the community as to
why they think you are incorrect in this instance. I am not sure what
else you could have expected in the case that you were wrong.

> BTW, if the "accusation" were true, who should write that cease-and-desist
> letter to Ceibal?

I had spoken to the FSF about this (and the SFLC) and they both had
recommended the path we took: work with Ceibal to remedy the
situation.

> Now, if this is irrelevant to Sugar's GPL, I apologize again, pull down my
> flag and take my spanking like a man.

As far as I know, it is irrelevant to Sugar's GPL. Which is why I
asked you to explain to the community why you thought otherwise.

> IMHO, if we are to learn anything from the current 3 cups of tea thing, it
> is that it works to all's benefit to sort these things out in the open.

Where are we not being open?

regards.

-walter

--