[IAEP] [Sur] [Localization] Traducciones de Sugar al español

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Tue Apr 12 16:29:32 EDT 2011

2011/4/12 Carlos Rabassa <carnen at mac.com>:
> English translation follows Spanish original
> Gonzalo,  Hernán, Ana,
> estoy parcialmente de acuerdo con cada uno de ustedes a pesar de que sus
> opiniones parecen contradictorias.
> Nos guste o no,  el lenguaje de los programadores, desarrolladores y muchas
> otras actividades en el campo de la informática,  es el Inglés.
> Negar este hecho es cerrarse las puertas y cerrárselas a los jóvenes
> estudiantes,  que tendrán dificultad para acceder a lo que se produce fuera
> de Uruguay.
> Son ideas que conducen a aislar el país en un mundo que,  nos guste o no,
>  es globalizado.
> Pienso que los que desean estudiar informática en serio tienen que estudiar
> Inglés aún más en serio y muy rápido.
> Traducir programas,  manuales y otras cosas es necesario hoy,  cuando muchos
> no pueden leer el Inglés.
> Pero esa ayuda tan interesante,  útil y generosa,  no es la solución del
> problema básico.
> Las traducciones las veo como las muletas que usan los que se rompieron una
> pierna.
> No se rehusan a ir a un hospital a que se la arreglen.
> Tan pronto como pueden se hacen arreglar la pierna rota.
> Usan las muletas nada más que mientras el arreglo que les hizo el médico en
> el hospital surte su efecto y la pierna se les cura.
> Y por el momento,  hay que traducir,  si deseamos que todos lean lo que
> escribimos:
>

> English translation
> Gonzalo,  Hernán, Ana,
> I partially agree with each one of you,  although your opinions seem to
> contradict each other.
> Whether or not we like it,  English is the language used by programmers,
> developers and in many other areas of computer science.

Today. We are bringing up a generation of new programmers by means of
OLPC who will program in Spanish and in dozens of other languages.
There exist valuable educational programs from OLPC Nepal that have
not been translated to English, and there will be much more of this
problem.

> Denying this fact means closing the doors for us and for the young students.
>  They will have problems to reach resources from outside Uruguay.

Plan CEIBAL has produced a vast volume of materials not made available
in English.

> These ideas lead to the isolation of our country in a world that,  whether
> or not we like it,  is globalized.
> I believe serious computer science students should study English even more
> seriously and very fast.

True, but not relevant to the problems of localization and translation
for Sugar.

> Today it is necessary to translate programs,  manuals and other materials,
>  when many of us cannot read English.
> But this help,  so interesting, useful and generous,  is not the solution to
> the basic problem.

Of course not. Is it not obvious that the solution involves teaching a
billion children at a time in any and every language that they
require? and that many of those children, as they learn other
languages, will have to take on the responsibility for translating
materials to the instructional languages of their countries, to the
official languages of their countries, and to the local languages of
their communities? For example, English is the language of instruction
in Kenya, Swahili the national language, and the Maa language of the
Maasai one of many local languages.

> I visualize translations as the crutches used by those who had a fractured
> leg.
> They do not refuse going to a hospital and having it fixed.
> They get it fixed as soon as they can.
> They only use the crutches while the repair made by the doctor at the
> hospital, goes through its process and the leg heals.

Your simile falls down. Our children did not break their legs. In
fact, preschool children can become fluent in a new language in a few
months, as I observed an immigrant friend do in kindergarten. Our
problem is that we wait too long to begin teaching them, and do not
immerse them in the new language when we start.

> For the time being,  translate we must,  if we expect everyone to read what
> we write:

And forever. Once we succeed in teaching children to learn and to work
in hundreds of languages, we will still have to translate those new
materials to all languages required.

English is not the issue. Having 6,909 documented languages in the
world is the issue. (ethnologue.com)

Note: I am among a number of people organizing translation projects
for Sugar software and for digital textbook replacements, at FLOSS
Manuals, Sugar Labs, and elsewhere. We are emphasizing Spanish to
start with, but will branch out widely as fast as we can. I would be
happy to arrange for hosting Spanish-to-English-to other languages
projects at Sugar Labs.

http://www.earthtreasury.org/