[IAEP] [realness] Re: S050 - Informática para Tontos / E050 - Computer Science for Dummies

Thomas C Gilliard satellit at bendbroadband.com
Fri Apr 8 21:24:20 EDT 2011

Carlos Rabassa wrote:
> Frederick,
>
> I am not familiar with WIndows.  I switched to Macintosh in 1993.
>
> Last May a few nice knowledgeable guys tried to put SoaS in my Mac  but it wouldn´t work.
>
> They concluded SoaS was not yet ready for MacOS.
>
> Does SoaS work now in Macs?
>
> Has anyone tried it successfully?

Tested today: 04/08/2011

Macbook Pro i7:
 Intel Core i7-2620 CPU@ 2.70 z x4
 Intel Sandybridge Mobile GEM 20100330 DEVELOPMENT

1-) VirtualBox 4.0.4 OSX Emulation seems to be best:
 http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Emulator_image_files
( a list of ready to go Importable Virtual Machines with sugar.)

Trisquel-4.1-sugar works very well as a SoaS and is Recommended for
Intel Macs
 http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Emulator_image_files/Trisquel#Trisquel-4.1-sugar

2-) These CD's boot on the MAC
   (hold "C" key during power on on Mac about 10+ sec)
 Ethernet (wired) and usb mouse work (No wireless)

http://serverbeach1.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt/stage/15-Beta.RC2/Live/i686/Fedora-15-Beta-i686-Live-Desktop.iso
Gnome3-shell 2.91.93 Desktop

http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/getfile?taskID=2983261&name=Fedora-15-Nightly-20110407.23-i686-Live-soas.iso
SoaS f15

there are still some problems with Soas:
 on first login to Live User it tries to go to start openbox
 log out then type in live user in the  login bar "other"
select sugar as gdm dropdown
it will fail
next log in live user (no password) and sugar will start
If Ethernet (wired) is connected the f1 neigborhood works on jabber
 Control Panel/ About My Computer:
    Sugar on a stick 5
    sugar 0.92.0

3-)Notes:
04/06/2011 10:15 AM  Re: [Sugar-devel] [SoaS] SoaS v5 status
 pbrobinson had these alternate instructions:
> Those impatient people can boot up the current release and when it

I still think Virtualization is the Best way to run sugar on a Mac

Tom Gilliard
satellit on IRC freenode #sugar

http://alt.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt/nightly-composes/desktop/

(http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/getfile?taskID=2983251&name=Fedora-15-Nightly-20110407.23-i686-Live-desktop.iso)