[IAEP] [somos-azucar] Fwd: Re: [Marketing] OLPC PR on BusinessWire: The Government of Peru Expands the One Laptop Per Child Program with Local Manufacturing

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Fri Apr 8 16:06:35 EDT 2011

On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 15:24, Chris Leonard <cjlhomeaddress at gmail.com> wrote:

> Laura Vargas wrote:
>
>>Dear Friends,
>>
>>The sugar translation marathon was called Miski Pachamama [sweet earth]
>>2010. We are currently looking forward for a second and third versions,
>
>>where we would love to translate sugar to other native languages, starting
>>with Shippibo, Ashaninka and Arawak.
>
> Dear Laura amd colleagues at Somos Azúcar,
>
> I would very much like to develop closer collaboration between Somos Azúcar
> and the Sugar Labs Translation Team.
>
> You may know we host our localization (L10n) efforts on a Pootle server:
> http://translate.sugarlabs.org/
>
> and that we have a list for coordinating L10n efforts:

You are also welcome to help with OLPC and Sugar activity manuals at
http://booki.flossmanuals.net/ . We have started a push on Spanish,
and would welcome any other languages that students need supported.
Anyone who would like to help can join the FM-discuss mailing list
there.

Sugar Labs is also starting a Replacing Textbooks project. I and dogi
are configuring and testing the server, and will announce several
projects soon. We invite others, and we invite translators for
existing projects. The booki software from FLOSS Manuals that we are
using in Replacing Textbooks is specifically built for collaborative
authoring, editing, publishing, remixing, translation, and so on.

The idea behind Replacing Textbooks is that XOs and other netbook
computers cost much less than printed textbooks, so providing a suite
of textbook replacements for every subject at every age in every
language needed will make it easy for governments to adopt the laptop
program. UNESCO invited me to start an open discussion on this topic.

http://www.wsis-community.org/mod/groups/topicposts.php?topic=118512&group_guid=14358
OER Economics for a billion children

> I was very happy to learn that Aymara and Quechua L10n work has been done
> and I would love to see it uploaded to the Pootle server
>
> Aymara
> http://translate.sugarlabs.org/ay/
>
> Quechua
> http://translate.sugarlabs.org/qu/