[IAEP] First day of Etoys class in Somerville

Steve Thomas sthomas1 at gosargon.com
Wed Apr 6 09:22:07 EDT 2011

Caroline,

Here is a Etoys Minute <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMDYf3_uovk> video
showing how to animate a mouth.
FYI, I created the mouth images with the polygon tool (if you shift click on
a polygon, you can see its "handles") the circles in the handle let you move
vertices and if you click on a green triangle you can add a vertice.  From
the menu in the polygon's Halo you can set the lines to curved.

The project "The Walkers<http://squeakland.org/showcase/project.jsp?id=7698>"
by P. A. Dreyfuss shows a great example of what you can do animating
polygons.  Note: this project uses some extra code in the polygon object,
but it can be done in Etoys by simply placing each "frame" in a holder and
animating that way.  The advantage of using holders IMO is that the kids can
see what's happening more easily.

Also you may want to check
"Morphing<http://www.squeakland.org/showcase/project.jsp?id=7112>"
by Kazuhiro Abe.  I think kids will like this and at the appropriate time,
with the appropriate guidance they could even write the morphing script
themselves. But for now, they could simply re-use the script to create cool
effects.

Stephen