[IAEP] Fwd: New booki for replacing textbooks with OER

James Simmons nicestep at gmail.com
Sat Apr 2 10:17:31 EDT 2011

It might be worth pointing out some of the features of Booki that make
it ideal for making books.  They include:

Wiki-like collaboration

WYSIWYG editing of content, with real HTML, not Wiki markup,
underneath.  This makes it easy to turn articles from websites, Wikis,
etc, into chapters in a real book by simply copying and pasting.  The
editor also includes a powerful spell checker.

Output in many formats:

1).  PDF suitable for printed books (which you can use custom style
sheets to create)
2).  PDF with a Table of Contents pane suitable for reading online or
as an e-book
3).  Web pages created using a template, which you can customize to
match the appearance of an existing website.  This gives you a static,
"published" version of your content for the general public, unlike
Wikipedia where the published version can be changed by anyone at all.
4).  EPUB
5).  By running the EPUB through the free Kindlegen utility,
Kindle-formatted MOBI.
6).  Newspaper-formatted PDF

I've been using Booki for months now, and I'm a big believer.

James Simmons