[IAEP] Etoys, is it difficult or easy?

Cherry Withers cwithers at ekindling.org
Fri Sep 24 13:48:48 EDT 2010

Just want to share this email from Daniel Gastelu, translated by Carlos
Rabassa. Thank you!

Just translated a message, from the spanish language forum OLPC-Uruguay.

Further down in this message you may see the original.

The author,  Daniel Gastelú, is a High School Professor.

Daniel works in a Library in Canelones, Uruguay,  to offer support to other
teachers in the public high schools.

This message is his answer to the subject question, which we had posed in
several forums.

Translation starts here
==================
And Scratch? ... don't remember where I read it,  but it sounded logical to
me.

Use progressively difficult tools for progressively difficult tasks.

To confirm this statement,  I add the phrase: "Visible learning, invisible
technology".

Children would first learn TurtleArt.

When they outgrow it switch to Scratch.

When all its possibilities are exhausted, continue with eToys.

It is the same as with bicycles and motorcycles.

They start at home,  in the backyard patio,  with training wheels
(TurtleArt).

They continue on the street,  in front of their home,  with the bicycle
without the training wheels enjoying their independence (Scratch).

Once they learned enough about riding on the street,  we allow them to ride
the bike to the supermarket (eToys).

May I make it clear I use the three programs.

I can compare them based on my own experience.

The idea in my opinion should not be to discuss whether it is easy or
difficult for the teacher or for the student.

We should llook at the opportunities offered by the tool.

Would any of the readers [of this forum] give a [motor driven] dune buggy to
his daughter for her 15th birthday if she cannot handle a bicycle?

In closing this brief message,  I share the problem in Scratch.

http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/egastelu/1299763

"The problem" is the one others have resolved using a XO with SocialCalc or
with Etoys:

<http://squeakland.org/launcher?http://squeakland.org/content/showcase/everyone/accounts/carlos/HowManyPizzas.005.pr>
<http://squeakland.org/launcher?http://squeakland.org/content/showcase/everyone/accounts/carlos/HowManyPizzas.005.pr>
How
Many Pizzas <http://squeakland.org/showcase/project.jsp?id=10264>  (2010-sep-07
18:35 EDT)  por Carlos Rabassa based on ideas by Daniel Ajoy and Paolo
Benini <carlos <http://squeakland.org/showcase/account?username=carlos>>
Resolving 2-variable equation

Translation ends here

Carlos Rabassa