[IAEP] Ideas

Alan Kay alan.nemo at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 27 08:28:08 EDT 2010

Hi Folks,

We have used Cuisenaire rods a lot for all grades.

We always take magic markers and draw arrowheads on one end of the rods to give
a sense of direction to the magnitudes when used in operations.

Vectors are a very powerful way of thinking about numbers and quantity and this
is a great way to get them started with a measuring and magnitude idea that
generalizes to more dimensions.

After a while you can start to use slender dowels for 2D calculations, etc.

Etoys objects are actually vectors, and Etoys actually has a "hidden" vector
vocabulary for doing vector arithmetic in two dimensions.

Cheers,

Alan