[IAEP] 90% fluency Re: Granny Cloud

Alan Kay alan.nemo at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 3 09:39:46 EDT 2010

Here are two other processes to consider that are more scalable.

I grew up in a little town of Hadley Massachusetts, which only had about 120
children in the high school but had always had a full band, orchestra and
chorus. They accomplished this by getting every child to be highly fluent in
music making from first grade onwards. They did this by augmenting the classroom
teachers -- all of which in the US in the 40s had to be able to play the piano a
little bit as part of their training -- with one highly trained musician in K-8
and several others in 9-12. We saw the high ability teacher twice a week, and I
realized later that her main job was essentially quality control and tweaking
the overall scheme that many of the classroom teachers might not be able to do.

This worked extremely well, and is an example of 90% of the children (more here)
getting "really fluent" in something that is usually thought to mostly depend on
talent. (Talent is a factor at the very high and low ends to be sure.)

The idea of using a "roving expert" has been used successfully elsewhere and in
other fields. For example, for many years the really wonderful 5th grade science
program in all of the Pasadena schools (Project Seed, which was set up by two
CalTech scientists), was run this way.

This is more scalable than trying to scale up classroom teachers. It requires a
really good curriculum, and lots of organization, etc.

A much bigger example is to consider the role of writing, and especially the
printing press, in learning, and most especially with the revolution in thought
that burst forth in the 17th century in Europe. Among other good sources is
Elisabeth Eisenstein's magisterial "The Printing Press As An Agent Of Change".

One way to look at this revolution, is that the printing press allowed the
non-scalable great minds and teachers of the past and present to have some of
themselves enormously replicated and scaled. This allowed more ordinary people
plus these books to become "great teachers", and for some learners, the books
alone were enough.

One of the ways to think about great teachers who are successful with most of
their students is that they can find what the different kinds of students need
in the way of process, method, application and encouragement to become fluent. A
particular great book might not work for all, but libraries of them help,
because they create an "Exploratorium" of different approaches to ideas, some of
which will be more likely to match up with what the learners bring to the table.
Some of these can even be motivational and inspiring.

Quite a bit of the school effort in the Northeastern US in the 19th century (and
elsewhere in the world) was not just to help children learn to read, but to
learn to read well enough and in a particular way to be able to learn ideas from
reading. It is very difficult to get good information on just how well this was
done. The book "Literacy in the United States" by Carl Kaestle is a pretty good
survey that will give some insights. This process was greatly aided by there not
being any competitor for reading and writing for all communication over distance
and time, so many people were reading and writing many times each day, even if
only for mundane reasons.

The social motivation that a great teacher can provide to those who require
social reasons for doing things is more diffuse here. A reading and writing and
conversing society that has ideas in the air can motivate highly, but is hard to
build up.

Now it is worth trying to imagine how personal computers plus a world wide
network can be like printed books and libraries. And more: how what is extra and
special about computers could be used to make an active user interface that is
"better than no teacher and better than a bad teacher" and that can do "some of
the things a good teacher can do". We still will have some of the motivations
problems, but we should be able to imagine such a UI being able to do 1 on 1
interactions (known to be good for most learners), choose styles of interaction
and curriculum likely to be good for their particular users (ditto), provide a
"playground and lab" in which things can be learned by making them, and that the
UI would be something more like a guide and mentor (rather than a drill
sergeant).

One of the simplest questions that should be investigated is "what if we took
popular children's books and set ourselves the task of making an interface that
would be successful in teaching 90% of children how to read them?" We could
imagine how some of this would go on the XO, and there are many parts that would
have to be done and tested to help our current imaginations. But what if
"dynamic books" could handle much of the stages of early literacy?

What if "dynamic books" could help many children learn many other things that
formerly required knowledgeable adults to help them with? And what if the
children this works for could become peer teachers for some of the other
children?

If this can be done, then it will be highly scalable via technology already in
place. One big question is "how well does it have to be done to really make a
difference globally?"

This goal is doable with considerable effort (it's in the same ballpark as it
took to invent personal computing and networks back in the 70s - 10 years with
hundreds of researchers), and is an important grand challenge for both computing
and the US (and the world) over the next decade.

Like the printing press was in the 15th century, and for some of the same
reasons, what I describe above is likely to be a gap filler if done well enough.

Best wishes,

Alan