[IAEP] "Grannie" support for children's learning with computers

K. K. Subramaniam kksubbu.ml at gmail.com
Tue Nov 2 11:22:34 EDT 2010

On Tuesday 02 Nov 2010 4:56:54 am Caroline Meeks wrote:
> I'd love to run a class for "elders" on how to help children learn with
> computers even if you don't know how to use one. This would be both for the
> computer room monitors and for "grandparents" (meaning any older person who
> has a individual relationship with a child).
I found that mixing computers with other play toys in the "living" room gives
better results compared to putting them into a separate room. When playing
with toys, one often gets ideas that cannot be done easily in real world
(shortage of supplies, abstract design etc) can then be done to the virtual
world (say in Etoys).
> Does anyone have curriculum or suggestions on what to teach that will help
> these adults joyfully support and guide their children's learning and
> exploration?
Squeakland.org is a good resource as is the book "The XO laptop in the
classroom" by Sdenka Salas. An interesting exercise would be for adults to
propose one project (a week or month) and have the kids build one in the real
world or in the virtual.

Subbu