[IAEP] "Grannie" support for children's learning with computers

Caroline Meeks caroline at solutiongrove.com
Mon Nov 1 19:26:54 EDT 2010

I didn't want to post on the long thread about NN and teachers but I do want
to post a query.

My next implementation site will be center on a computer room in a public
housing project.  The community is blessed to have many elders living there
and a strong community life with adults and children interacting regularly.
 The computer room is always staffed with an adult and my observation is
that its usually an elder.  The staffer has no idea what the kids are doing
on the computer and whether or not its appropriate.

We will be supplying computers for people's homes and giving bootable USB
sticks with open source educational software and classes to both children
and adults.

I'd love to run a class for "elders" on how to help children learn with
computers even if you don't know how to use one. This would be both for the
computer room monitors and for "grandparents" (meaning any older person who
has a individual relationship with a child).

Does anyone have curriculum or suggestions on what to teach that will help
these adults joyfully support and guide their children's learning and
exploration?

Can anyone point me to the original research that sparked the "Grannie"
thread?

Thanks
Caroline

--