[IAEP] Peru, OLPC and Wikipedia

Yamandu Ploskonka yamaplos at gmail.com
Tue May 11 10:47:04 EDT 2010

gee wiz. Talk about cultural whatevers going on, and I missing
completely my very first chance I have ever had to have a grown-up
conversation about social darwinism, a subject I have followed by my
lonesome for way too long to have something better than very mixed up
ideas, to the point I didn't even recognize the beast when it walked in
front of me.

hmmm.

> "all speaking one language and it is 汉语"

As to one language, one culture, among my juvenilia I count hanging out
for 9 months as one of Rev. Moon's finest, so ein volk, ein land, etc,
is no news to me, I followed that (now stupid to me) call already.

I did also mention at some moment how confused I was in my own feelings
when meeting the Chinese equivalent of the Peace Corps active in a
school in Nepal. Why was it I find completely normal to see European,
Anglo or even African American volunteers in foreign lands, but this
sort of "didn't fit"? They were nice young people, we had pretty good
conversations (amazing level of English language), but, somewhere in my
heart a not purposeful reaction of "not my team?". And that happening to
me, when Cdo domu muj? is almost a way of life...

Too many words maybe, just to say that a whole lot of us are probably
quite ignorant to be informed players in their ideological conversation,
whence they will happily push forward their agendas, that, oh, alas,
happen to deal with *our *own -uninformed, participation not called or
expected- future and choices.

//
> ////in some cases, the web has facilitated these politics of difference//////

I'm curious if this goes beyond a wish. I'd say the balance being
negative so far.

I am making it my own business to work this angle. http://descolonizar.org

There is very little I have found on this quest that works, thus I am
all too afraid it might just not happen. I have a deep respect for
diversity, sometimes at odds with some great friends who would see in
more homogeneity a more peaceful alternative, and I am still very much
split in issues like availability of health care and elder care among
those whose approach is some version of inshallah. Also, individual
liberty seems to be so much at odds with cultural and community
coherence, worse when the market forces get through, spearheaded by
massive commercial interests especially in the cool-youth areas of music
and such, and credit-encouraged sales. One more reason I twist my nose
at Internet being the educational cure-all.

Yama