[IAEP] SoaS Deployment in Delhi, India

Anurag Goel agoel23 at gmail.com
Mon May 10 22:26:45 EDT 2010

Hey all,

Some of you might already know but for those who don't, there will be a SoaS
deployment in Delhi, India. A team of 3 students from Boston University will
be leaving for Delhi in June. The deployment will be about 10 weeks long
from June-Aug. We will be working closely with SEETA (www.seeta.in) while we
are in Delhi. Dr. Stefanakis (Boston University School of Education) will be
our faculty advisor for the project.

We have made great strides in preparing for our project, but like any
deployment, planning is an on-going job that can always use help. We have
set up a wiki page for our project. You can find it here:
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_on_a_Stick_in_Delhi_India

We have raised about $4000 for our project and are continuing to
fundraise more. We are targeting for $6000. We would greatly appreciate any
donations, which can be made via PayPal on our wiki page. There is a lot to
be gained from this deployment as we plan to write a case study this
fall. As part of our research, we want to measure how Sugar impacts student
learning. We will be measuring this through qualitative and quantitative
data with a sample size of at least 150 students.

We are planning to use SoaS Strawberry version1 in India. If USR is stable
by June, we would like to use that. We ruled out SoaS Blueberry because of
problems with collaboration. Anyone suggest a different strategy?

Also, we need some help setting up a school server, ideally with integration
with Moodle. I tried setting up an XS using the steps on the OLPC wiki but
did not have much luck. Is there anyone who can point me in the right
direction or is willing to help set this up? I'm not sure if anyone has
successfully done this in the past. My technical skills are at par, but
if there is any documentation on setting up a backup/restore server I am
willing to give it a shot.

If you would like us to test certain activities as part of the deployment,
please let us know.

Feel free to foward this email and the wiki page to anyone else.

Thanks,
Anurag Goel
Boston University '12
College of Engineering