[IAEP] is Soas safe?

Sascha Silbe sascha-ml-ui-sugar-iaep at silbe.org
Mon Mar 22 05:29:46 EDT 2010

On Sun, Mar 21, 2010 at 06:31:02PM -0500, Yamandu Ploskonka wrote:

> I guess that harddrive-less units are totally OK, but what happens in
> normal, hard-drive based machines if somehow a stick gets infected?
While SoaS does not use Rainbow (=> unprotected), I've yet to see a
virus or worm that
a) runs on Linux and
b) infects a hard disk from within a Live system (usually it tries to
spread on the network instead).

We should strive to make all Sugar installations (including SoaS) more
secure (by re-integrating Rainbow), but this shouldn't prevent anyone
from using it now. The risk is low enough.

> when booting from a USB stick, is it like when booting from a CD or
> for those old enough to remember, like booting from a floppy?
> I mean, that was THE way to get infected before Word macros started
> being the star, since such infection basically bypass all anti-malware
> protection, except when set at the BIOS level, and how many people
> knew about it in my younger days?
Oh, so you're talking about a boot sector virus? I haven't encountered
one of these for ages; but yes, _anything_ that boots a different system
from the one on your hard disk is going to be susceptible to that.
BTW, I don't think the BIOS-level protection works anywhere except in
DOS.

In general, anyone who is able to boot a computer into a custom system
will get full access to it and this extends to (almost) any software
they installed, voluntarily or not. If you don't want that, install
Sugar on a fixed storage medium (i.e. hard disk) instead of booting from
SoaS.

PS: Please continue the discussion on sugar-devel as it's about
technology, not education. I've set Mail-Followup-To accordingly.

CU Sascha

--
http://sascha.silbe.org/
http://www.infra-silbe.de/