[IAEP] [Systems] wiki design

Josh Williams josh at tucson-labs.com
Sat Mar 13 22:40:56 EST 2010

On 3/13/10 1:56 PM, Sascha Silbe wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 13, 2010 at 01:36:44PM -0700, Josh Williams wrote:
>
>> I'm in the camp that it's better to set a maximum width because I
>> think it's harder to read long strings of text.
> If you really want to do this (I still wouldn't like it), please at
> least base it on font size (em). Using pixel sizes will cause breakage
> for users of high resolution (DPI) screens and visually impaired users
> who have significantly increased the font size.

If we do limit the width, I'll definitely use ems.

>> Anyway, I'm not opposed to having it set at 100% width if you think
>> most of the wiki users would prefer that.
> The question is not just what the majority prefers, but also what the
> drawbacks are for the minority.

That's true, but I think the drawbacks are small for either case. Here
are our two options, the problems I see, and typical responses to those
problems.

1. Restrict the width to 62.5 em (roughly 1000px for people viewing at
normal font size 16px)

    * Argument: this will restrict people with large displays from using
      all of their window to fill the text.
    * Response: Most contemporary sites are fixed width and set around
      1000px, so those users are used to interacting with similar websites.

2. Don't restrict the width.

    * Argument: Causes hard to read text when the browser is in full
      screen mode or when taking up a large portion of the screen.
    * Response: Make the browser window smaller or zoom the page.

Are there any other drawbacks that I'm missing? I don't really think
this is just a decision I should make arbitrarily, so any thoughts on
this would be appreciated.

> That being said, thanks for working on a new style! I too would love a
> wiki that looks "sweeter" (i.e. more like the Sugar UI).
>
> CU Sascha
No problem! Thanks for the feedback!

Josh