[IAEP] Alfa 3 grants for Latin America

Yamandu Ploskonka yamaplos at gmail.com
Thu Jun 17 16:42:00 EDT 2010

On 06/17/2010 03:28 PM, Walter Bender wrote:
> 2010/6/17 Yamandu Ploskonka<yamaplos at bolinux.org>:
>
>> Alfa 3 is an international cooperation program from the European Union for
>> Latin America in themes of Higher Education.  These grants, open to
>> institutions specifically from those countries, cover 80% of their
>> expenses.  Institutions from other countries can be "Colaboradores", they do
>> not get grant money but may be invited to attend international events, with
>> travel and per diem paid by the specific project. You may sign up to be a
>> Colaborador by filling out this form
>>
>> Of special interest to our list would be the "Free Content for Higher
>> Education" and "Teacher Training" Projects, though the "Increasing Access of
>> Native Peoples to Higher Education" and the "Increasing Access of the Blind
>> to Higher Education" may be of much interest to some.
>>
> Could we also use this money to bring developers to spend time at deployments?
>
> -walter

Maybe.

More likely if they are from a Higher Education Institution that is a
"Socia" (partner) of a project of Lot 1, it sort of gets more difficult
from there on, like a lot 2 would have a harder time justifying this.

Suppose a University in Uruguay or Paraguay or Perú is part of this
project (or, for crying out loud, initiates their own project), then
they could have as a specific activity part of the project *directly
connected with Higher Education*, probably teacher training, they could
hire professionals to perform specific work.

I personally believe that interaction between teachers and developers is
of prime importance, IMHO this fits perfectly in terms of the work that
is necessary for effective teacher training, and thus I would support
and suggest this become part of the project.

Hope this helps (Walter, if you have contacts with one such university -
or several, please help us)