[IAEP] New and revised chapters of "Make Your Own Sugar Activities!" ready for review, feedback

Jim Simmons nicestep at gmail.com
Thu Jan 21 18:23:31 EST 2010

Aleksey,

I did consider mentioning the word tracking feature you put in your
example.  However, when I tried your example with actual book text
rather than letting it speak the source code of the program it seemed
to actually skip speaking some of the words.  The markup version was
more robust.

The machine I used for that test was running Fedora 10, and it may be
that in 11 or 12 it would work better.  I have another box running 11
and I could try it there.  I do have your examples in the Git project
for the book so readers could discover them on their own.

I could see word tracking being useful in the core Read Activity.
Actually highlighting text in place in PDF documents and scanned page
images is not as simple as what I'm doing with plain text, but perhaps
in Read you could have the spoken words appear in a text crawl at the
top of the screen.

Right now I want to work on collaboration examples but I may revisit
this chapter and add something on word tracking.

James Simmons