[IAEP] [SLOBS] [SLOBs] prep for Friday's meeting

Chris Ball cjb at laptop.org
Wed Jan 20 15:53:59 EST 2010

Hi all,

   > In an attempt to line things up so that we can get efficiently
   > through Friday morning's meeting (and, I hope, nail those
   > Trademark notions through), Walter, Bernie, and I started a
   > meeting prep page.

Thanks!

   > 2. Are we missing any discussion points for trademark on
   > http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Oversight_Board/Meeting_Minutes-2010-01-22#Discussion_points?

The new draft section 2 says "You may use the Sugar Labs Marks *with*
prior written permission for the following purposes (subject to the
other sections)", but in the old draft section 2 involved *not*
needing prior written permission for those purposes, and the text
appears to still be written that way:

   2.b: To identify Sugar Labs software as a distinct component of a
   software offering. For example, "MyDistro, sweetened by Sugar" or
   other "<product>, <joined with> Sugar" language would be a use that
   does not require explicit written permission.

Stating "you need written permission, for example, here's a case where
you don't need written permission" doesn't make sense -- my preferred
fix would be reverting to *not* needing written permission for the
unmodified/bundling situations described in §2.  What do others think?

Thanks,

- Chris.
--
Chris Ball   <cjb at laptop.org>