[IAEP] [SoaS] Very Urgent! Still need SoaS Help!

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Mon Jan 18 14:08:27 EST 2010

On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 2:00 PM, Caryl Bigenho <cbigenho at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi....
> Besides needing to be able to use SoaS at the "Try-It" Lab at SCaLE 8X,  I
> now will also need it next Monday, Jan 25th, to take to an elementary school
> in Buenos Aires!  They have a PC lab that is grossly underused and we are
> hoping we can get SoaS to work on their machines. All they have now is MS
> Office... for an elementary school. The teachers don't like it.

:)

> Fortunately, I will have access to several PCs while stopping over in the
> Dallas area to visit our son and family before going to Argentina on Friday.
>  Now... my most urgent question...  logically, the answer should be yes.
>  Will this scenerio work:

Short answer: No.

> I download SoaS Blueberry on my son's PC to a usb stick. I check it to make
> sure it works. Then if it is a viable copy, I clone the usb stick directly
> to another one plugged in to the same PC without having to go through the
> long download again.  The folks in Argentina (and at SCaLE 8X) can also make
> clones quickly using these viable copies.

The problem is that the user data is on initialization and will get
copied each time. You can change the user  name and colors in the
control panel, but not the public keys generated on first boot. These
would have to be deleted by hand.

> Will this work?  Any caveats?  Should I also take a copy of Strawberry?
> Would Strawberry work better if the machines are older?  What is the oldest
> model of PC these will work on?

Another approach is to copy the Blueberry image locally and then use
the LiveUSB tool to make copies. This is not much more time-consuming
that making replications as per your plan as stated above, but doesn't
require any magic.

> We leave tomorrow morning!
> Caryl

regards.