[IAEP] [support-gang] Girls in Open Source

James Simmons nicestep at gmail.com
Sat Feb 27 13:37:10 EST 2010

All,

When the "Make Your Own Sugar Activities!" book at FLOSS Manuals is
finished it will be possible to get bound and printed copies via
lulu.com.  To do that I need a cover design, or at least an image to
put on the cover.  I wrote the book with non-programmers in mind,
especially children and teachers.  I wanted a cover that would suggest
that the book was for them.  My idea for a cover image was a photo of
a fourteen year old girl doing programming, maybe posterized with The
GIMP.  I know of no children that age, I just had a vague idea that
one of my wife's friends might have someone suitable that could model
for the picture in my basement.

The pictures in this article, two out of the four at least, are far
better than anything I could have come up with.  The fact that the
girls really are what they are supposed to be makes all the
difference.  I don't know if it would be possible to use these
pictures (Mercury News might own them) but if the girls could be
persuaded to pose for something similar for a book cover (I would
assume their parents would take digital pictures and email them) that
would be exactly what the book cover could use.

They seem to be Sugar users already, which is an enormous plus.

If anyone on the lists knows their parents and could help make this
happen I'd be obliged.

James Simmons