[IAEP] Finally trying Sugar

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Fri Feb 26 13:30:00 EST 2010

Hi Edward, Sebastian and others,

On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 12:32:49PM -0500, Edward Cherlin wrote:
>Thanks, Sebastian. Perhaps we can package Sugar on a Stick for USB in
>various Linux distributions. The normal package installation process
>can run a configuration script, which presumably could prompt the user
>to insert a USB stick, warn about potential data loss, and verify the
>size and format of the stick before installing. Jonas should know if
>this will work.

Sugar on a Stick is a distribution of its own, based on Fedora.

My expertise is in the Debian distribution (and derivations thereof).

True, Debian can be used to copy an alien system onto CD or a USB stick
- but SoaS won't be accepted for shipping as part of Debian due to it
being a big binary blob seen from Debian point of view.

Debian ships with several tools to burn ISOs to CD, if that's what you
suggest.

Debian also ships with unetbootin to install alien systems onto USB
sticks. Not sure if SoaS is supported there, however.

If what you suggest is to make a SoaS-like distribution derived from
Debian, then sure that is possible. But we'd need to actually have a
full core Sugar packaged for Debian first, in my opinion.

If you meant something else, I apologize: please clarify.

NB! Please cc me directly on responses to this email: recent changes to
sugarlabs.org DNS has has caused me to get unsubscribed from all lists.

Kind regards,

  - Jonas