[IAEP] [FIELDBACK] Etoys

K. K. Subramaniam subbukk at gmail.com
Fri Feb 26 07:53:08 EST 2010

On Friday 26 February 2010 12:12:19 pm Cherry Withers wrote:
> It's definitely a balancing act trying to get them to focus on finishing up
> something and getting them to explore. Once they realize that they
> can affect the object by scripts they just want to do everything they can
> possibly do in one sitting (dragging and dropping tiles in one script
> window ..then I'm in fire fighting mode). Too much resulted in chaos in my
> class. Not doing THAT again. I now give them some time to go nuts on
> exploration then pull them back in to finish a project. Now I'm
> introducing just a max of two concepts (or tiles) in one 40min. session.
When a new tile is introduced, kids tend to use it over and over many times
before they get to a state where they can use it in a project. This is par for
the course.

Alan's car demo script starts with commands. When the script says "forward 5"
what exactly is 5 in that blank space? Introducing watchers before commands
helps ease the up ramp. Learning about watchers for shapes
(length/width/heading), color and border and then position (x,y,..) allows
kids to grasp spatial and angular dimensions gradually.

BTW, I wouldn't worry about kids "finishing" a project in the first few
sessions. Curiosity and experimentation will dominate the sessions. Only when
they reach a zone of comfort with the system will they become receptive to
tips on "saving" their projects.

My experience is limited to non-English students in rural India using the
English GUI. I don't know how much it would apply to students in other
regions.

YMMV .. Subbu