[IAEP] [etoys-dev] TED - Alan Kay - Example(8:44)

K. K. Subramaniam subbukk at gmail.com
Tue Feb 23 11:42:55 EST 2010

On Tuesday 23 February 2010 09:13:59 pm Edward Cherlin wrote:
>We also know that simply asking the question and making careful observations
>also gives astonishing results, as, for example, in the careers of Maria
>Montessori and Jean Piaget. Also Jerome Bruner
Yes. But these people followed the child. Jean Piaget discovered that children
in the 2-7 age group do not comprehend conservation of quantity or use logical
thinking. Children don't come with fast forward buttons :-).

>> > Concepts
> > like product (a*b), square, square root, symbols to represent quantity
> > and manipulating them will take some more time. The constructional
> > technique adopted by Julia Nakajima is so beautiful because it uses
> > growth instead of symbols.
>
> Can you give me a URL for that?
See page 7 second last para of
 http://www.vpri.org/pdf/m2007007a_revolution.pdf

I typed the name wrong :-(. The correct name is Julia Nishijima.

Also see http://dobbse.net/thinair/2008/12/growth-and-polygons.html

Subbu