[IAEP] [etoys-dev] TED - Alan Kay - Example(8:44)

Maria Droujkova droujkova at gmail.com
Tue Feb 23 12:38:07 EST 2010

On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 11:42 AM, K. K. Subramaniam <subbukk at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Tuesday 23 February 2010 09:13:59 pm Edward Cherlin wrote:
> >We also know that simply asking the question and making careful
> observations
> >also gives astonishing results, as, for example, in the careers of Maria
> >Montessori and Jean Piaget. Also Jerome Bruner
> Yes. But these people followed the child. Jean Piaget discovered that
> children
> in the 2-7 age group do not comprehend conservation of quantity or use
> logical
> thinking. Children don't come with fast forward buttons :-).

There has been research done since then. Conservation of small quantities
seems to be inborn, as it is present in the first days after birth.
Piagetian experiments have been reconceptualized to be more about language
structures than about conceptual structures. Which brings us back to the
point that symbolism is not the same as algebra.

Cheers,
Maria Droujkova
http://www.naturalmath.com

Make math your own, to make your own math.