[IAEP] Will This Work???

Samuel Klein meta.sj at gmail.com
Fri Dec 17 23:14:10 EST 2010

Hello Teemu,

I agree completely that journals should be by default open.  That's a
natural way for a group to share, and it has the potential to be
really inspiring.

On Sat, Dec 11, 2010 at 4:39 AM, Teemu Leinonen <teemu.leinonen at aalto.fi> wrote:
> On 10.12.2010, at 22.06, Sascha Silbe wrote:
>>>
>>> Actually it would be great if all the Journals on XO could be (by
>>> default) open for reading (and commenting) by everyone in the learning
>>> community / local, near by XO users.
>>
>> That would be the exact opposite of great

Ouch :-)   Well, it sounds great to me.  This could be implemented as
a preference, in a way that it could be set for a whole class or
deployment.  It's fine to have religion, as long as we are welcoming
to those with other views.  If Teemu goes off and sets up a
default-gregarious network where everyone expects to be sharing all
the time, the users should not have to expend extra effort to do so.

Teemu writes:
>  The open journals with commenting would provide student a
> better changes to reach their zone of proximal development
> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zone_of_proximal_development). Without
> visibility of the activities with the Sugar, teachers (or who ever is more
> skillful / knowledgeable) can not help their pupils. Also, if the pupils can
> not follow the work of more advantaged pupils they will loose a great
> opportunity to learn.

I like this point.  It is easy to say "noone wants to see the series
of activities I launched at what times, from my Journal history" but
that is often not true, especially when one is learning how someone
else works.  The same argument gets made re: collaborative document
production, but groups are more efficient (and learn different sorts
of skills) with nuanced change-tracking, a wiki, or a
character-tracking etherpad instance than with a crude iteration over
rough/final drafts.

> Thank you for the links. I find the "choosing license" quite silly idea in
> the context of school learning, but that is another story. :-)

(-:

SJ