[IAEP] Homework turn-in without server (was: Re: Data vs Critical Thinking - Can Sugar give schools both?)

Sascha Silbe sascha-ml-ui-sugar-iaep at silbe.org
Fri Apr 23 07:49:44 EDT 2010

On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 11:18:14AM +0200, Tomeu Vizoso wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 02:08, Gonzalo Odiard <godiard at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> In the context of Sugar we need a simple way to students to send
>> their work
>> to the teacher and a simple way to the teacher to group these works,
>> and
>> follow the progress.
>> Can we start with it?
>
> You mean something that works without a server such as Moodle?
>
> If so, I think we should start by thinking who is going to review and
> stabilize that work, as we are getting very short of maintainers.
Maybe we should start by designing a work flow / UI for this? I believe
the actual code changes could be fairly small and easily reviewed if
done right.

If we transfer metadata during "file transfer" (Journal "Send To"
feature) as suggested in #1344 [1], we have everything needed for the
most basic workflow:

1. Student opens completed work in Journal details view.
2. Student adds tags as instructed by the teacher (e.g. "Class-6a
homework bees").
3. Student uses "Send To <name of teacher>".
4. Teacher accepts file transfer.
5. Teacher opens Journal and uses full text search with the given tags.
6. Teacher annotates the work (either inline or (ab)using the
"description" field).
7. Teacher uses "Send To <name of student>".
8. Student accepts file transfer.

There are obviously quite a few ways to improve on this workflow, but we
can get there step by step with incremental, self-contained changes that
are easy enough to review.

[1] https://bugs.sugarlabs.org/ticket/1344

CU Sascha

--