[IAEP] inquiry on constructionism advantages

Maria Droujkova droujkova at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 07:59:30 EDT 2009

You may want to use Jo Boaler's longitudinal study of two British poor
neighborhood schools, one using procedural math and another project-based
math. Kids in the project school did significantly better on standardized
tests, and had higher-than-national passing rate (which is incredible given
low socioeconomic status). There is a lot of various statistics there,
including the fact that project-based learning removed the gender gap. I can
send you a review of the book I just did for a grant. While not directly
about constructionism, the practices and ideals, as described, are very
close.

Reference:

Boaler, J. (2002). Experiencing School Mathematics: Traditional and Reform
Approaches To Teaching and Their Impact on Student Learning, Revised and
Expanded Edition (Rev Enl.). Lawrence Erlbaum.

Cheers,
Maria Droujkova
http://www.naturalmath.com

Make math your own, to make your own math.