[IAEP] Announcing the creation of a SoaS Decision Panel

Chris Ball cjb at laptop.org
Mon Sep 28 12:48:26 EDT 2009

Hi all,

In Friday's SLOBs meeting, we approved the creation of a decision
panel, with the following people eligible to join the panel:

Sebastian Dziallas
Luke Faraone
Martin Dengler
Bill Bogstad
Faisal Khan
Benjamin M. Schwartz
Samuel Klein
Sean Daly
Tabitha Roder
Caryl Bigenho
Daniel Drake
Abhishek Indoria

(If anyone else had volunteered but is missing from the list, the
group is welcome to add them in too.)

The approved scope for the Decision Panel is large.  We decided to
describe it as:

"""
Investigate the situation of how SoaS should be treated by Sugar
Labs, and related questions, including answers to the following:

*  Should Sugar Labs be a GNU/Linux distributor, rather than just
   an upstream producing Sugar releases?

*  Should SL be neutral about distributions containing Sugar, and
   refuse to endorse one over another?

*  Should 'Sugar on a Stick' be a phrase that SL asks its community
   to avoid using unless they refer to the SoaS-Fedora distribution?"

*  Any other question the Decision Panel deems required to provide an
   answer to the original question: "Is the current SoaS going to be
   the primary way Sugar Labs distributes a Sugar-centric GNU/Linux
   distribution?"
"""

How the panel proceeds to organize themselves and answer these
questions is entirely up to them.  Once a report is ready, SLOBs
will review it and vote on ratifying its suggestions.

Thanks,

- Chris, for SLOBs.
--
Chris Ball   <cjb at laptop.org>