[IAEP] Which Language?

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 02:08:59 EDT 2009

On Mon, Sep 28, 2009 at 2:36 PM, Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de> wrote:
> On 28.09.2009, at 17:36, gerry_lowry (alliston ontario canada (705)
> 250-0112) wrote:
>
>> J, like APL, sadly does not get the publicity that it deserves.
>
> A fate it shares with other nice languages.
> Like, err, Smalltalk.
>
>> I would not be surprised if Roger Hui were willing to create an
>> implementation of J for the XO if that were necessary.
>
> Please report back when this is done.
> Worked for, err, Smalltalk.

The current Freeware J will run on the XO in character mode from
Terminal. Just download and unpack where you want it to run from.

J uses standard graphics libraries, so there is no trouble running it
in graphic mode in Gnome. Sugarizing would require further work,
particularly if we want to enable collaboration.

Eric Iverson, who inherited Ken's IP, is not willing so far to GPL J.
I can ask whether he is willing to let Roger Sugarize the Freeware
version.

http://earthtreasury.org/