[IAEP] [Sugar-devel] [SLOBS] SoaS: Searching for Decision Panel volunteers.

Benjamin M. Schwartz bmschwar at fas.harvard.edu
Fri Sep 25 10:33:45 EDT 2009

Tomeu Vizoso wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 25, 2009 at 15:37, Peter Robinson <pbrobinson at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I presume there's a defined amount of people on this panel. When and
>> where is the chosen panel announced?
>
> It's being discussed right now in the SLOBS meeting in #sugar-meeting.

Oops.  I seem to have missed the meeting, and a decision panel was formed.

For the record: I regard the formation of this Decision Panel as entirely
unnecessary, because I feel we have reached consensus on all the relevant
issues here.  In my opinion, our consensus includes:

1.  We greatly appreciate the work of those who have contributed to SoaS
Strawberry and Blueberry.  We regard these products as valuable, critical
distribution mechanism for Sugar, and we will do what we can to ensure
their continued development.

2.  We have historically recommended Sugar distribution systems based on
their suitability to the person to whom we are making the recommendation,
and we will continue to do so.  We will not attempt an artificial
impartiality.  For example, we would not recommend the Ubuntu Sugar
packages in versions of Ubuntu where those packages are buggy, unless the
person to whom we are making recommendations has a pre-existing preference
for Ubuntu that outweighs the bugs.

3.  We will support the work of the SoaS Strawberry team by providing them
with assistance in marketing, hosting, and engineering.  We would provide
such support to anyone making a credible effort to distribute Sugar.  If
the creators of SoaS Blueberry or future versions decide that they require
less of our assistance in these areas, as might happen if they find a new
home under the auspices of a Linux distribution, we will gladly continue
to support them in areas where they still require support.

4.  We will entrust the marketing team with labeling products in a way
that is amenable to all parties, including the users and creators of
Sugar-based systems.  The Marketing team is, and has been, responsible for
ensuring that we choose names that do not harm the mission by creating
confusion.

5.  We will not declare official long-term strategies based on uncertain
technical assertions.  In particular, we will not declare that any
particular distribution mechanism for Sugar is and will always be
preferred.  As per point 2, our recommendations are always made in a
specific context.

As far as I can tell, this is more than enough consensus for everyone to
work productively on the things they need to work on.  I don't see any way
in which an Official Decision would be helpful in this matter.