[IAEP] XS Timeout issue (maybe)

Gerald Ardito gerald.ardito at gmail.com
Tue Sep 22 19:35:13 EDT 2009

Hello,

I have been testing an XS.
We are in NY and the server is in Boston.

I have set the Mesh Server on the XOs (in the Control Panel) for the
server's URL, and edited /etc/hosts on the XOs to point toward the server's
IP address.

The devices connect just fine, and I can collaborate on activities between
some machines.

I am noticing the following things:
1. In the Neighborhood view on the XOs, different devices seem to drop off
at irregular intervals. I don't understand why this is happening.
2. Even after a device has been shut down, it still appears in the
Neighborhood view on the other devices until they are restarted.
3. I don't' see all the devices in the Neighborhood view at any one time.

All of this seems different that how I understand how XS is supposed to
work.

So, some questions:
1. Is there some timeout function on the server? If so, can it be
customized?
2. Is there any limit to the number of connections made to an XS from one IP
address? I am thinking that since these devices are all coming from my
school, they are all leaving the building with one IP address.
3. If there is such a limit, can anything be done about this?

Thanks. My plan is to deploy 150 machines in the next two weeks, so any help
will be greatly appreciated.

Gerald