[IAEP] [Sugar-devel] [SLOBS] Long-term support for Sugar

Benjamin M. Schwartz bmschwar at fas.harvard.edu
Tue Sep 22 09:09:47 EDT 2009

Peter Robinson wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 12:09 AM, Benjamin M. Schwartz
> <bmschwar at fas.harvard.edu> wrote:
>> Bernie Innocenti wrote:
>>> Why would we care to have concurrent versions of the same activity for
>>> different user accounts?  Our computing model is inherently single-user.
>> LTSP.  NFS with shared clients.  Our computing model is not just OLPC.
>
> Surely for a LTSP style of install with thin clients you'd want
> something like RPM so you can centrally manage all servers and make
> sure they're running the "supported" version of the Activity. My
> experiences in that sort of env its much more locked down and
> centrally managed as that's one of the major advantages of such an
> environment.

I have no interest in supporting lockdown.  Sugar is explicitly
exploratory, designed to ensure that every user has the ability to
install, inspect, and modify the system as they choose.  This is an
important component of our educational mission.  Without this feature, we
provide precious little advantage over XFCE and Google Docs.