[IAEP] [Sugar-devel] [SLOBS] Long-term support for Sugar (was: slobs... blah blah)

Bill Bogstad bogstad at pobox.com
Mon Sep 21 17:21:33 EDT 2009

[trimmed some cc's - they are probably on these lists anyway]

On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 5:07 PM, Peter Robinson <pbrobinson at gmail.com> wrote:

> Well it wasn't a royal pain if you didn't have to co-ordinate between
> about 8 different parties. And most of the the "latest releases" were
> in fact defined by the Sugar Development and had nothing to do with
> Fedora at all so I suggest you do some research to find out the facts
> before you actually define "royal pain". Things like Telepathy Tubes
> were pushed forward to allow things like abiword (Write activity)
> collaboration. There are still things that are being merged into
> mainline that have been used by Sugar for a while and in the case of
> abiword its only the soon to be released abiword 2.8 that will finally
> merge those changes....

Is that light at the end of the tunnel or just an oncoming train?
i.e. Do you think that it will ever be the case that most Sugar
activities won't need special features from the base system to
function adequately (note I don't say optimally)?  If you think this
is possible, what time frame do you see this happening?  By Fedora 13?
 Fedora 14?  In your lifetime?

If it's more then a year then this conversation is probably premature.
 If it's less then that, then it's just about the right time
to decide if long term support is something that matters to SugarLabs
and how to address it if it does.

Bill Bogstad