[IAEP] Contents of IAEP Digest, Vol 18, Issue 78

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at sugarlabs.org
Mon Sep 21 04:23:31 EDT 2009

On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 06:49, Tabitha Roder <tabitha at hrdnz.com> wrote:
>> Anyway, as a muggle or someone with little information (a.k.a. the
>> public) I actually thought, could say was sure, eve, that Sugarlabs was
>> pushing SOaS as their flagship product, maybe SugarLive was there around
>> somewhere, or course (?!?!) Sugar for the XO, whose status seems so
>> unclear...  Being "better informed that most" I knew that SOaS ran on
>> top of Fedora, like the XO Sugar did, so no surprises, but that's it
>> AFAIK.  I was glad people kept an eye on Ubuntu (my distro of choice),
>> and there's been some enthusiasm around Xtra something going on last
>> week in OLPCNews, and SD card based distro.
>>

> For what its worth, I thought Sugarlabs were using Sugar on a Stick as
> an entry tool to introduce people to Sugar before deploying Fedora
> with Sugar as the operating system and GUI of choice for schools. I
> assume that Sugarlabs are still making this possible for XO hardware
> as well as other hardware that schools can get their hands on.

I think we have consensus on SLs promoting packaging of Sugar on any
distro, so interested admins can do a Sugar installation in the same
way they would be doing a GNOME or KDE one.

By having Sugar packaged in several distros, we have made a big step
forward in having live images based on each of those distros.

>>> So, a possible solution could be calling the product marketed by SLs
>>> "Sugar on a Stick" and each individual team and product "Fedora Sugar
>>> on a Stick", "OpenSUSE Sugar on a Stick", etc. From time to time SLs
>>> would decide to call and market as "Sugar on a Stick" a particular
>>> release of a particular flavor. This decision process should be very
>>> transparent and fair, of course.
>
> IMHO, It is confusing to non geeks when you everything has strange
> names that dont make sense to them. Can we say Sugar on a Stick to
> public (and that is always the SoaS that sugarlabs thinks is the
> safest for public consumption) with a flavour tacked for techie
> tracking?

That's what I was trying to say, SLs would only market "Sugar on a Stick".

> Incremental seems logical for those lucky enough to learn
> maths, so can I suggest we tag numbers on. E.g. "Sugar on a Stick -
> Strawberry 1.01" could be code for the SoaS that is Fedora based and
> is release 1.01 and the next SoaS that is Fedora based be Strawberry
> 1.02. Ubuntu versions would be Vanilla 1.01 and OpenSUSE versions
> would be Lime 1.01 or something. That takes only one page on the
> sugarlabs wiki to check what you actually have and means end users
> just see minimal information = Sugar on a Stick.

That's also a possibility, would be good to hear opinions from the distro teams.

> IMHO, Also easier for end user if there are only a few sites to look
> at not many. We point everyone to laptop.org and sugarlabs.org - we
> can tell people that information here is most likely to be accurate.
> If it is spread over many sites they might miss finding accurate and
> current information. Redirects could be useful though. One page
> websites that give basics and then point to the correct sugarlabs page
> maybe?

Sounds good to me, because people will search for us using very
different terms, more as new projects appear inside SLs.

Regards,

Tomeu

Farning