[IAEP] [Sugar-devel] [SLOBS] SoaS: Searching for Decision Panel volunteers.

Bill Bogstad bogstad at pobox.com
Mon Sep 21 00:41:20 EDT 2009

On Sun, Sep 20, 2009 at 5:18 AM, Tomeu Vizoso <tomeu at sugarlabs.org> wrote:
> So, a possible solution could be calling the product marketed by SLs
> "Sugar on a Stick" and each individual team and product "Fedora Sugar
> on a Stick", "OpenSUSE Sugar on a Stick", etc. From time to time SLs
> would decide to call and market as "Sugar on a Stick" a particular
> release of a particular flavor. This decision process should be very
> transparent and fair, of course.

As far as naming is concerned, I think this is a good idea.  It
acknowledges what seems to be the defacto
situation (Fedora SoaS is SugarLabs primary full system distribution)
while allowing for a possibility of change as required.
I thought there were was another issue involving what communications
channels to use for discussions about
SoaS which doesn't seem like it is being addressed in recent messages
in this (or related threads).  I suppose that
can wait until we find out if Feodora SoaS will remain under the
SugarLabs umbrella.

I would like to add some more thoughts though which are based on some
of the messages on related threads coming directly or indirectly from
educators.  I think at some point SugarLabs may HAVE to switch from a
Fedora based system if it wants runnable systems that it champions to
be relevant.  I base this on a number of messages recently asking more
or less for stability (and longer term support).   My understanding of
stability as defined in these messages was that it was about things
continuing to work the same way from week to week, month to month, and
even year to year.  It's okay if there are known problems as long as
there are workarounds.   What is bad is not knowing what is going to
work (or how to use it).  Given the short support window for Fedora
releases (typically a bit over a year), it won't matter how long
SugarLabs is willing to support a version of Sugar if the underlying
distribution has unfixed security problems.

It may be a while before Sugar itself is stable enough that this
becomes an issue.  Maybe some other way to provide full system
stability over periods longer then a year can be found.  On the chance
that this isn't the case and to provide
what educators (seem) to want requires a switch, let's leave the door
open for change.

Thanks,
Bill Bogstad