[IAEP] What is Sugar LiveUSB (was: Re: [Sugar-devel] SLOBs Position on SoaS)

Martin Dengler martin at martindengler.com
Fri Sep 18 19:51:55 EDT 2009

On Fri, Sep 18, 2009 at 02:54:30PM -0400, Bill Bogstad wrote:
> There seems to be a lack of consensus of what SoaS actually is or
> what it's goals (use cases) should be.

I'd like to say I see your point, but across the internet that's a
dangerous thing to say in the face of the somewhat amusing ambiguigty
of trying to talk about "that thing whose identity we can't agree
upon".

When I say "SoaS" I mean the direct result of the build process using
a version of the code contained in
http://cgit.sugarlabs.org/soas/mainline , which I believe a) is what
Sebastian Dziallas means by "SoaS", and b) what Chris Ball means by
"SoaS-Fedora".  So let there be no ambiguity about that.

"SoaS" in this sense is something worked on by a few people but
clearly led by Sebastien and supported by a host of SL and non-SL
people.

If you wish to point out that "consensus of what SoaS is is lacking
amongst many people that haven't helped with SoaS (not Sugar) except
by perhaps proferring opinions about how it should be
built/used/marketed/designed", well, I can't think of much
constructive to say.  There's a place for that consensus-building, but
it's not this thread.

If you wish to change the subject, let's change the subject line as is
customary.

> >> I ... don't think we can leave Sugar LiveUSB to any distribution.
> >
> > What is "Sugar LiveUSB"?  Is it SoaS?
>
> That's my question.

Ok, so the autistic answer is: Sugar LiveUSB does exist - or rather,
at least two things calling themselves that do.  Look at the second
and third google hit for 'sugar live usb' (no quotes). A
sugar-live-image-built-on-opensuse (I don't know the name) exists.  I
am certain there are other
sugar-live-image-built-from-some-big-linux-distros but also don't know
their names.  A quick google search shows a number of promising
results.

"What is SoaS?" is either tautological or confusing.  I appreciate
that some of the implications I think you want to raise are issues
that can be usefully discussed but I think if we attempt to fork off a
broad discusion from a specific and big discussion and cover wide
stretches of unfamiliar ground no constructive progress is going to be
made.  So let's discuss precise questions in the appropriate forums.

> So far Strawberry (and it's variants, successors) is the only
> LiveUSB environment that I know of that makes Sugar the default UI

I mention some others above.

> If someone takes any of a number of other LiveUSB environments and
> makes Sugar the default, will that be SoaS (but not Strawberry)[?]

Not at present as far as I'm concerned.  I'm not anybody with much of
a claim to that name, but I suspect even those that do would answer
the same.

> Maybe Sugoppix? :-)

Heh.

> I hope that I have clarified somewhat.