[IAEP] [SLOBS] SLOBs Position on SoaS

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Fri Sep 18 16:09:28 EDT 2009

On Fri, Sep 18, 2009 at 4:01 PM, Chris Ball <cjb at laptop.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>   > Chris, I think your strategy for reaching consensus on this issue
>   > is a good one, but somewhat at odds with our rules of governance.
>
> Thanks.  You're right; I'd missed that.
>
>   > "The Oversight Board will selecting members for the Decision
>   > Panel...  A Decision Panel will solicit community input, discuss
>   > (in private if they deem it necessary), reach a conclusion
>   > internally, and produce a report documenting their
>   > conclusion. (Anyone may submit advice to a Decision Panel.) The
>   > Oversight Board will review and ratify Decision Panel reports.
>
> Perhaps we should ask for volunteers to serve on the Decision Panel
> now, and then vote on Friday both on whether it should be formed, and
> who should take positions on it?  (I can't think of a way to decide
> who should be on the panel that doesn't involve SLOBs voting on them,
> unless we just let anyone who wants to be on it join.)

I think SLOBs needs to make the decision about membership (and even
whether or not to form the committee) but getting the names of
potential volunteers in advance is a very good idea. We may decide
that we need to draft a few community members that don't volunteer as
well, but I think this has been a topic that has enough interest and
passion associated with it that we shouldn't have a problem finding
people.

>   > In any case, I think we should meet on Friday of next week.
>
> Okay.  I'll be at the Linux Plumbers Conference, but I think I can
> make the meeting anyway.
>
> - Chris.
> --
> Chris Ball   <cjb at laptop.org>