[IAEP] [Sugar-devel] [SoaS] The Future of Sugar on a Stick

Samuel Klein meta.sj at gmail.com
Fri Sep 18 13:23:15 EDT 2009

Mel - thanks for this delightful and thoughtful post.  I agree with
most of the points you and your aunt raise.

Ben says, about 'Friendly' and 'Consistent':
> These two things sound pretty much the same to me.
> They also sound absolutely impossible, taken strictly.
> Taking a more relaxed interpretation, you seem to be
> describing, in effect, a full-time professional support staff.

I disagree.  As Tomeu points out, the SOAS community is organized
around an idea that supports friendliness and consistency.  To the
comments that Gnome and KDE don't handle end to end packaging, the
lack of almost any distors that are targeted effectively at these
needs of teachers makes it important for some group to do it.

I would find it a refreshing counterpoint to have a group in this
ecosystem focused on maintaining a toolchain that first prioritizes
the overall teacher and classroom experience, and second prioritizes
hardware, OS, and software details.  Some of its core releases /
components / packages (for instance, a new social & procedural system
for getting help or processing feedback) might not involve a single
transistor or line of code.

SJ