[IAEP] [Sugar-devel] [SLOBS] SLOBs Position on SoaS

Yamandu Ploskonka yamaplos at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 18:37:14 EDT 2009

Daniel Drake wrote:
> 2009/9/16 Tomeu Vizoso <tomeu at sugarlabs.org>:
>
>> I cannot speak for Sebastian nor the whole SoaS community, but
>> something like making SoaS an official project in SLs could go a long
>> way. This would mean saying that "Sugar on a Stick" is a project with
>> this vision, this mission, this roadmap, this governance model, etc.
>>

> Yes, that makes sense. Sebastian, if it were made a project would that
> clear up your doubts?
> This isn't giving SoaS any special treatment -- any project that comes
> close to the calibre of soas is obviously candidate to become
> recognised as an official project.

+1
>> Also discussing like Sean has made the possibility of an hypothetical
>> switch to another distro is very good I think. Better have this on the
>> table than letting it be hidden in the backs of our minds.
>>

> I don't think it would be fair to take over the name of another
> project. If another distro project comes along, I feel that it should
> pick its own name. And is the name really that important? As an
> example, the existing OLPC distros never really had a name.  I call
> them e.g. "OLPC OS 8.2.0" but there doesn't seem to be any consensus,
> and it hasn't been a hinderance in adoption. The users don't really
> get to see the bits that are underneath, so they only refer to "Sugar"
> anyway.
>
> Daniel

and get very confused in the process.  I have at least one example, the
Heart Rate Monitor, that requires some older dependencies no longer
supported, and I find it a challenge to figure out what distro version I
have...

I am all for having simple, catchy names that non-geeks can enjoy and
feel kinship with