[IAEP] Bug reporting

Benjamin M. Schwartz bmschwar at fas.harvard.edu
Wed Sep 16 13:01:44 EDT 2009

Walter Bender wrote:
> I am not sure that generally enabling all activities to have net
> access is a good idea... too easy to exploit. But there is a mechanism
> in the Log Activity to send logs with just one mouse click. (Not sure
> what is sent and to where. Maybe adding an optional field for
> annotating the problem to go with the log file?)
>
> In any case, this seems like an important feature to sort out for 0.88.

I agree.  In my view, part of the solution is to make the Activity logs
available via the Journal.  In the special case where an Activity crashes
during startup, the Journal entry should show "[name] failed to launch",
and the contents should be the logfile as text/plain.  Coupled with a
generic uploading mechanism, this would make it much easier to diagnose
and report at least this one kind of bug.

This obviously also feeds back into our education mission.  In Sugar, we
can "make the most of failure" by letting users explore how the system has
failed.