[IAEP] [Sugar-devel] [SLOBS] SLOBs Position on SoaS

Sebastian Dziallas sebastian at when.com
Wed Sep 16 11:35:50 EDT 2009

Caroline Meeks wrote:
> [...] snip!
> I agree with Daniel's
> question.  Sebastian, what is your theory of change here?  What do you think we should do and why does doing it and doing it now as an official strategic decision get us closer to having all the world's children use Sugar?

So well. I think I've explained my vision of SoaS already pretty well in
the open letter. That was the long-term side of things.

Now it comes to what I think is important in a project. And that is -
also - certainty and trust. Those are pretty important factors. For
developers, as well as for users, to know where one stands.

I have asked for a reply on this question because it truly affects my
work. I would like to know whether my work is needed in the way I'm
doing it, whether it's appreciated, whether it's respected.

Wait, how do you measure this? Well, I think I've been doing quite a big
amount of the SoaS work over the last year. I've been told the Sugar
community was about people doing stuff, so I considered myself to be
leading the SoaS effort at some point. So far so good. But if I'm
leading an effort, I'd prefer to be *informed* about what's happening.

This starts with trademarking things (about which I haven't been
informed), continues with the idea SL has of SoaS (just to be sure I
don't waste my work) and ends with people using the name of the project
I considered myself to be leading - without talking while planning it.

So. This is not about avoiding competition. Or about having a
dictatorship. Or whatever. It's about providing a bit of certainty.

In my opinion, Sugar Labs has about four options how to act wrt SoaS.

(1) SL decides the current SoaS to be *the* SoaS and enforces the brand.
(Did you know that you're able to lose a trademark when not enforcing
it?) Exceptions could be granted by a trademark committee.

(2) SL decides to have more than one SoaS, basically allowing everybody
to use the brand's name.

(3) SL decides not to do a distribution of Sugar and doesn't care about
the naming of other projects, allowing everybody to use the name.

(4) SL decides not to do a distribution of Sugar and delegates this to
*one* other project, probably in another project (Fedora, Ubuntu, TOS).

Those are the possibilities I can think of right now. There are probably
more. I would just like to know where I'm investing my work in, since I
am just a volunteer. I don't get money for this.

--Sebastian