[IAEP] [SLOBS] SLOBs Position on SoaS

Caroline Meeks caroline at solutiongrove.com
Wed Sep 16 10:42:28 EDT 2009

I went to a talk at the Hauser Nonprofit Institute at Harvard yesterday.
 Someone asked a question the director, who teachers nonprofit
administration, about why they choose the 5 areas they focused on.  he said:
"Some people think the opposite of Strategic Management is bad management.
Actually its Opportunistic Management.  You want to manage your organization
somewhere on the continuum between being completely opportunistic and
completely strategic."

Our strategic vision is strong. My version of it is:  Sugar everywhere on
everything for all kids in the world 5 to 12 years old.  Free, Open and at
the lowest Total Cost of Ownership possible.

I love Sugar on a Stick as a promising way to do that.
 But my position as a Slobs candidate is that Sugar Labs has a lot of
potential opportunity that seems to be right outside our door.  I
think we should be open to seeing what knocks when.

I agree with Daniel's
question.  Sebastian, what is your theory of change here?  What do you
think we should do and why does doing it and doing it now as an
official strategic decision get us closer to having all the world's
children use Sugar?

On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 10:25 AM, Daniel Drake <dsd at laptop.org> wrote:

> 2009/9/16 Daniel Drake <dsd at laptop.org>:
> > 2009/9/16 Sebastian Dziallas <sebastian at when.com>:
> >> Let me rephrase again, to make things clear. I'd love to hear an
> >> "official" answer on this. Soon.
> >>
> >> Is the current SoaS going to be the primary way Sugar Labs distributes a
> >> Sugar-centric GNU/Linux distribution?
> >

> and to answer a question with a question: how does the answer to this
> affect your work? I can't immediately see its importance.
>
> Daniel

Caroline Meeks
Solution Grove
Caroline at SolutionGrove.com