[IAEP] [SLOBS] SLOBs Position on SoaS

Sebastian Dziallas sebastian at when.com
Wed Sep 16 11:11:04 EDT 2009

Tomeu Vizoso wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 16:24, Daniel Drake<dsd at laptop.org>  wrote:
>> 2009/9/16 Sebastian Dziallas<sebastian at when.com>:
>>> Let me rephrase again, to make things clear. I'd love to hear an
>>> "official" answer on this. Soon.
>>>
>>> Is the current SoaS going to be the primary way Sugar Labs distributes a
>>> Sugar-centric GNU/Linux distribution?
>>
>> Isn't there a wider question first? the one that asks if Sugar Labs is
>> actually interested in being a distributor rather than just an
>> upstream. I raised that question in my recent discussion and my
>> feeling is that the responses basically said "well we should really
>> just focus on being an upstream since we already are overworked there,
>> but actually Sugar Labs is just a platform where everyone interested
>> in Sugar can get together and run Sugar-related projects"
>>
>> Based on that, I'd say that SoaS is a fine project to sit under Sugar
>> Labs but there shouldn't be a "primary way" of getting Sugar. Like
>> other upstream projects, Sugar Labs should work with multiple
>> downstreams (treating them equally) in order to achieve wide adoption
>> of the software.
>
> That matches quite well my personal point of view. I'm just a bit
> concerned that the marketing team might need something like SoaS as
> part of their job to make Sugar widely known. But I'm just guessing
> here...
>
> That said, SoaS is very important for me as an upstream Sugar
> developer because before we had it, people had to install a linux
> distro or get an XO to try or test Sugar. So I have a big interest in
> that SoaS work continue forward, in SLs if needed.
>
> Regards,
>
> Tomeu

Args! I notice that what I asked could have been misunderstood. I didn't
mean to imply SoaS being only way of distributing Sugar. That's out of
question and was never my intention. I apologize for any confusion if
this feeling has been created.

I wonder, though, if the current SoaS is going to be the primary LiveUSB
distribution of Sugar supported by upstream (known as SoaS).

Daniel, yes, I think this question needs to be asked. In fact, it has
been asked. You mentioned it. Martin Dengler has pointed it out very
clearly on IAEP just a day ago (while receiving no replies). I felt that
this one question I asked implied it, but you're right.

Tomeu, I agree, too. SoaS has started gaining foothold with it's (imo)
very successful v1 launch. Now we need to continue following the path.
The question is just where.

--Sebastian