[IAEP] Bug reporting

Dennis Daniels dennisgdaniels at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 23:40:17 EDT 2009

Greetings,
I have roughly diagrammed the bug reporting process for Sugar here:
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/File:Reporting_a_bug.png

I also timed it using Sugar as the UI for entering the bugs. I'd say
it took nearly five minutes... and I have some idea of what I'm doing
(though there are reasons to doubt that as well) and my internet
connection is 900Kb /per sec normally.

As it's apparently not possible to post a bug anonymously the added
burden of logging in compounds the problem. I for one, as a teacher,
would find it hard to justify a student spending5+minutes of time in
class reporting a bug.

My solution:
using python's URL tools post an error log, using the same idea as
ubiquitous 'view source' now a 'post bug' now, straight to a pastebin
like interface that uses the IP address of the user  plus the user
name.

The user doesn't need to know much more than typing a problem desc.
and submitting. The logs are gathered up and posted straight to a
'pastebin/wiki' like page so that devs can see what's hot in the bug
area for users. The user is given the URL of the bug on the wiki and
can go and add more data if necessary. It's a lot looser bug tracking
system but targeting the bugs that users bump into most often and
FIXING those will go along way towards making SUGAR look and feel user
friendly.

The tool I'm using for the diagrams is Umbrello. I'd be happy to post
the XMI to these diagrams if someone is interested.
Dennis

lost and found:
+15047567321
+18586833669
GoogleTalk: dennisgdaniels
skype : dennisdaniels

EOF
Sent from New Orleans, Louisiana, United States