[IAEP] [Sugar-devel] [SoaS] The Future of Sugar on a Stick

Bill Bogstad bogstad at pobox.com
Mon Sep 14 22:44:05 EDT 2009

2009/9/14 Philippe Clérié <philippe at gcal.net>:
> +1
>
> I made a similar suggestion a couple of weeks back.
>
> Thinking as someone who will probably be in it up to his neck, on the
> teaching side, what I would like to see is a polished distribution,
> installable on a hard disk, released once a year around April-May. That will

So you probably disagreed with my statement that SoaS is not about
installing user files to a hard drive.  Or do you mean having the Base
OS on the drive, but the user files/activities directory on a stick?

Given the wide range of school schedules world wide, I'm not sure if
it is reasonable to try to synchronize release schedules with any
particular schedule.  I'm willing to be educated if there is in fact
some consistency.  I'm just not willing to support something like that
without more data.

It also seems like there is a desire among core Sugar developers to do
releases more often then this as well as a desire to synchronize with
Fedora's six month schedule.   On the other hand, It seems like what
you want is some hope that you will get some support (security
patches?) for longer then until the next six month release.  Given
that Fedora itself is only supported for 12-13 months after release
and SoaS resource constraints, I don't see any way to get more then
that.  It seems plausible though that Fedora security and other
patches could be made for available for SoaS releases as long as they
are available.

Until Sugar reaches 1.0, I don't think it makes much sense to expect
much in the way of support for older Sugar versions
unless the problems are particularly bad.   It would be better if a
'real' Sugar developer could respond to this.  I just do SoaS...

Bill Bogstad