[IAEP] The Future of Sugar on a Stick

Benjamin M. Schwartz bmschwar at fas.harvard.edu
Mon Sep 14 17:12:46 EDT 2009

Sebastian Dziallas wrote:
> So my vision is that this SoaS is actually *the* way of distributing
> Sugar, as a SL product. If Sugar Labs doesn't think so, I'd have
> preferred to be informed much earlier.

I don't think you're likely to find much support for that vision as
phrased.  I think this may just be a wording problem.

Some people here have distributed Sugar on hand-tuned hardware-specific
customized disk images.  Some have distributed it using distro packages,
to be installed directly on pre-existing Linux installations.  Some have
built emulator images, installed, configured, and ready to run on any OS.
 Some have configured Sugar to run on thick NFS clients, or thin LTSP clients.

SoaS is a great way to distribute Sugar, but it will certainly never be
"*the* way", as long as all these other people are around, working hard on
other distribution mechanisms.