[IAEP] The Future of Sugar on a Stick

Sebastian Dziallas sebastian at when.com
Mon Sep 14 17:05:08 EDT 2009

Martin Dengler wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 06:33:47PM +0200, Sebastian Dziallas wrote:
>> Martin Dengler wrote:

>>> Notably, this does not say "SoaS is Sugar Labs' way of providing
>>> [anyone] with a [image to put on a] thumbdrive".
>>>
>>> Should we understand SoaS goal as a source-only distribution-making
>>> kit?  If SoaS is to be Sugar Labs' way of distributing Sugar, we
>>> should clearly say so.  If not, then we should clearly say so as well.
>>
>> That's actually a pretty important point and affects strongly the
>> future of SoaS. Since it clearly depends on SL's point of view, it's
>> something on which other opinions (like SLOBs') are needed.
>
> It'd be interesting to have your point of view.

Heh, yeah. I probably should explain...

So my vision is that this SoaS is actually *the* way of distributing
Sugar, as a SL product. If Sugar Labs doesn't think so, I'd have
preferred to be informed much earlier. But wait, who's SL here?

Is it me? Is it SLOBs? Who's going to provide certainty here?

I personally would like to see open discussions about SoaS being made
publicly on the mailing list (whether its a SoaS list or sugar-devel) to
encourage as many people to get involved as possible as well as to
minimise duplication of effort. I'd also like to gain this certainty
about what are the plans for the SoaS brand in general are, etc.

--Sebastian