[IAEP] Where should we put Lesson Plans? Currwiki?

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Mon Sep 14 06:06:59 EDT 2009

Some notes I think may be interesting.

On Sat, Sep 12, 2009 at 4:58 PM, Caroline Meeks
<caroline at solutiongrove.com>wrote:

> For the Moodle advocates. I am a big Moodle fan. But I don't think its our
> right now solution for the work we are talking about doing.
>

>    1. Our target, elementary school teachers are not currently using
>    either Moodle or Sugar, adding both at once makes the learning curve even
>    harder.
>
> Adding a 3rd system... easier?

>    1. We are focusing on lesson plans in the 1 hour and even 20-minute
>    groupwork time frames.  Moodle is more focused on longer time frames.
>
> I am about to include José Cedeno's new 'timeline' courseformat which
should make classroom usage a bit better :-)

>    1. We are focusing on what the teacher will do and what the class will
>    do both online and offline during the lesson as well as learning goals,
>    standards, help for the teacher in differentiating the lesson etc.  Think
>    the teachers guide for the text book. Moodle is more focused on what the
>    student is doing online. Its not a very natural fit.

That sounds a lot like the paper-based materials Peru is putting together. A
booklet for the teacher that guides a (probably multi-day) "lesson"  called
"XO-Reporter" that covers lots of things, from choosing a topic to report
on, asking good questions, writing in "news style" with inverted pyramid --
some parts involve using the XO.

http://www.perueduca.edu.pe/olpc/archivos/Fasc_PERIODISTA.pdf

More like that (though of varied depth)
http://www.perueduca.edu.pe/olpc/OLPC_fichasfasc.html

For new teachers, and in agreement that we are snowing them with a ton of
new things, these docs seem to be most useful _on paper_.

I cry a bit for the lost trees, but we do need these stepping stones. And
heck, I like my key guides / books / references to be on paper. If things to
aid & support computer use want to use the same screen I am trying to use
for something else, it's a losing proposition.

>    1. Moodle has tremendous promise in terms of reducing teacher workload.
>     Here is an example of what I hope that in the future Moodle will be able
>    to:
>       1. Provide a link that students click and they open a Write document
>       that is a template/scaffolding for a specific assignment, say writing a
>       scientific argument.
>
> I have _just_ published a Moodle update on Friday that should do this. If a
teacher creates a template and uploads it as part of Moodle topic

>    1. When the document is saved it is automatically turned in as Homework
>       in Moodle allowing the teacher to review and comment on the document from
>       anywhere, even on days when the class does not see the science teacher.
>
> That's a bit harder :-) but doable.

> However, I still see Moodle as just one format teachers will use.

Of course :)

martin.langhoff at gmail.com
- ask interesting questions