[IAEP] [Sugar-devel] Sugar on a Stick v2 Release Naming

Sean DALY sdaly.be at gmail.com
Sun Sep 13 17:18:55 EDT 2009

Bill - I completely agree our numbering systems are byzantine and
difficult to grasp... there is the Sugar version number, the Fedora
version number, the OLPC-OS version number and the XO build number.

Our marketing strategy is to push Sugar on a Stick, so to simplify
that we picked the next release coming up at the time, called the
current build beta-1, and the release v1 Strawberry
(http://www.sugarlabs.org/press). This worked from a PR standpoint; we
had worldwide coverage in the tech press (with spotty coverage in
education publications though, working on that).

However internally we had been using Soas-1 and SoaS-2, if I'm not
mistaken to refer to the underlying Fedora distro (10 and 11
respectively). It's true that these numbers (or an SoaS-3 if it
exists) will be confusing compared to the "public" version number.

Sebastian, what's your take? Can we "retire" SoaS-{1,2,3} or fold them
into the public v1, v2 numbers?

thanks

Sean